Carmel really is for lovers. Hiking, Sight-Seeing, Fine Dining, Wine Tasting or Shopping...so great on their own but even better when sharing the experience with someone special.
Here are our... 10 GREAT ROMANTIC ACTIVITIES IN CARMEL...Enjoy!
Barefoot Walk on Carmel Beach
- Carmel's crown jewel! This beautiful white sands beach is perfect for a romantic walk anytime of the day. One mile in length, this beach connects Carmel by the Sea with Pebble Beach and offers sweeping vistas of unparalleled beauty. Home to surfers, dog lovers and newlyweds. No one ever tires of the magic found at Carmel Beach.
Wine Tasting in Carmel Valley Village and Lunch al Fresco
- The heart of Carmel Valley Village is home to a multitude of Central Coast wineries and tasting rooms, most within in walking distance of one another. Located just 10 miles from Carmel by the Sea, this warmer inland town is nestled among California Live Oaks and boasts many upscale tasting rooms such as Talbott, Heller and Joullian and casual epicurean eateries including Cafe Rustica, Wills Fargo and Corkscrew. Accessible by car but for those who want to wine taste check out the Grapevine Express which offers an exclusive route to and from Carmel.
Bonfire on the Beach at Sunset
- One of the many unique things you will find in Carmel is the ability to have bonfires on the beach. Carmel offers up the chance to enjoy an amazing sunset on a white sands beach while cozying up on a blanket in front of a roaring bonfire. Do it yourself or just ask Brian to put one together for you. This is just one of the many romantic services offered by Romantic Room Designs. A must not miss opportunity!
Scenic Drive to Big Sur and Lunch at Nepenthe's
- What an amazing coastline the Central Coast has to offer and what better way to explore it than with a day trip to Big Sur on Scenic Hwy 1. Plenty of convenient places to pull over and take in breathtaking views of California's dramatic Pacific Ocean. Short hikes are also available to get up close and personal with plant life and coastal scenery. Only 45 minutes from Carmel is famed Nepenthe's Restaurant. Owned by the Fassett family for over 60 years Nepenthes captures the essence of Big Sur with a large outdoor patio and deck and uninterrupted views of the Pacific Ocean. Shopping is conveniently located at the adjacent Phoenix Boutique, which is stocked with Big Sur inspired treasures. Spend the afternoon in "another world."
Cocktails on the Patio of Spanish Bay Resort—Complete with the Bag Piper
- You don't need to pony up the dough for a room at the expensive Inn at Spanish Bay in Pebble Beach, CA to enjoy the beautiful coastal view and a sunset serenade from a Scottish bag piper at dusk. The Lobby Lounge serves cocktails and appetizers and has an extensive wine list (which is to be expected in this ritzy enclave of the Monterey Peninsula.) As for the bag piper, he starts on the hills at 6:15pm (in the summer) and winds his way back up to the terrace as the sunsets. There is a $9.50 fee to enter the 17-mile Drive to reach Spanish Bay. Self-parking is free. Compared to the usual hotel parking fees this is a real deal. This is definitely a treat not worth missing!
Couples In-Room Massage
- What better way to start your romantic vacation than with a couples massage in the privacy of your own room. Best booked in advance there are several services that offer a variety of in-room treatments.
Soak in Your Own In-Room Jacuzzi with Ocean View or in the Outdoor Spa under the Twinkle Lights
- The magic starts with the right accommodations and the Horizon Inn and Ocean View Lodge have something for every taste and budget. We pride ourselves on being able to match the perfect room with your personal budget. Let our friendly and knowledgeable staff help you plan the perfect romantic getaway.
After hours Window Shopping on Ocean Avenue
- If you haven't heard it before than you should know that Carmel is a "Walking Town." Unique, distinctive, enchanting – that is what awaits the shopper in Carmel-by-the-Sea who explores the stores on Ocean Avenue and in the surrounding courtyards. No street lamps or neon signs, only the soft glow from the store fronts and twinkle lights down main street (illuminated from December - March) make this a very romantic place to explore especially at night. Be prepared to cozy up because coastal nights can be chilly after all we are promoting romance!
Walking Tour of Point Lobos
- Point Lobos is one of the natural wonders of the Monterey Peninsula and only minutes from Carmel by the Sea. This state park is a must see! Accessible by car for a small fee, or free for those willing to park along Hwy 1 and walk in, takes you up close to some of the most impressive native wildlife and breathtaking views of Carmel and Pebble Beach coastline that make the Monterey Peninsula so famous. There are several walking paths that will take you around part or all of the park where you can enjoy watching otters feed on shellfish and sea lions frolicking in the protected coves, walk under the cover of mist in coastal cypress groves and along the bluffs above the surf. This is nature at its finest and unbelievably accessible to the public.
Dinner for Two in Carmel by the Sea
- Carmel has no shortage of exceptional restaurants ech offering a different twist on a culinary delight in the most romantic coastal setting. Many restaurants boast private dining in quaint courtyards under the warmth of heat lamps, the charm of lighted umbrellas or the canopy of bountiful gardens. Intimacy in a low key setting where casual elegance is in full bloom and ambiance is abundant. Don't miss out on the opportunity to enjoy fabulous food in a fabulous setting all within walking distance of your room.